1. When a change in length takes place, the strain is known as
(A) lateral strain.
(B) volumetric strain.
(C) linear strain.
(D) shear strain.
2. Which of the following do not have identical dimensions?
(A) Momentum and impulse.
(B) Torque and energy.
(C) Torque and work.
(D) Moment of a force and angular momentum.
3. The weakest section of a diamond riveting is the section which passes through
(A) first row.
(B) second row.
(C) central raw.
(D) one rivet hole of end row.
4. The ratio of limiting friction and normal reaction is known as
(A) coefficient of friction.
(B) angle of friction.
(C) angle of repose.
(D) sliding friction.
5. The deformation per unit length is called
(A) compressive stress.
(B) shear stress.
(C) tensile stress.
6. Hooke’s law states that stress and strain are
(A) directly proportional.
(B) inversely proportional.
(C) curvilinear related.
(D) none of these.
7. Which of the following is a vector quantity?
8. The modular ratio of the two materials is the ratio of
(A) their modulus of elasticities.
(B) linear stress to linear strain.
(C) shear stress to shear strain.
(D) their modulus of rigidities.
9. The center of gravity of a uniform lamina lies at
(A) the center of the heavy portion.
(B) the midpoint of its axis.
(C) the bottom surface.
(D) All of the above.
10. A beam is said to be of uniform strength, if
(A) shear stress is the same throughout the beam.
(B) bending stress is same at every section along its longitudinal axis.
(C) B.M. is the same throughout the beam.
(D) deflection is the same throughout the beam.
11. The thermal or temperature stress is a function of
(A) coefficient of linear expansion.
(B) increase in temperature.
(C) modulus of elasticity.
(D) all of these.
12. The value of Poisson’s ratio always remains
(A) greater than one.
(B) less than one.
(C) equal to one.
(D) none of these.
13. The riveted joint may fail due to
(A) Tearing of plates between rivets.
(B) Shearing of rivets.
(C) Tearing of the plates between the edge of the plate.
(D) all of the above.
14. The total strain energy stored in a body is termed as
(A) impact energy.
(C) proof resilience.
(D) modulus of resilience.
15. Forces are called coplanar when all of them acting on body lie in
(A) one point.
(B) one plane.
(C) different planes.
(D) perpendicular planes.
16. Which type of butt joint is most commonly used?
(A) Single inverted V-butt joint
(B) Double V-butt joint
(C) Double U-butt joint
(D) Single V-butt joint.