Electrical Engineering Interview Questions on DC Machine – 3
1. What is the main drawback of a d.c. shunt generator?
Answer: The main drawback of a d.c. shunt generator is that, terminal voltage drops considerably with load.
2. At which condition, a shunt generator gives its greatest voltage?
Answer: A shunt generator gives its greatest voltage at no load.
3. What is the purpose of laminating armature of a d.c. machine?
Answer: The armature of a d.c. machine is laminated in order to reduce eddy current loss.
4. What is the current flow in the DC machine armature? AC or DC ?
Answer: The current in armature conductor of DC machine is alternating current (AC).
5. Why a separately excited d.c. generator is not used?
Answer: A separately excited d.c. generator is not used because separate d.c. source is required for field circuit.
6. In which part of a d.c. machine, eddy current loss will be greatest?
Answer: The greatest eddy current loss occur in the armature of a DC machine.