Answer: The purpose of providing series and shunt compensation in EHV line are discussed below
1. It reduce the series reactance of line.
2. It improve the stability of line.
3. It improve the voltage regulation.
4. It increase the transmission efficiency.
1. It reduce the line susceptance.
2. It improve the voltage regulation under light load condition.
Series Compensation Series compensation is basically a powerful tool to improve the performance of EHV lines. It consists of capacitors connected in series with the line at suitable locations.
For high voltage transmission line the line capacitance is high and plays a significant role in voltage conditions of the receiving end. When the line is loaded then the reactive power demand of the load is partially met by the reactive power generated by the line capacitance and the remaining reactive power demand is met by the reactive power flow through the line from sending end to the receiving end.